Sisters of the Holy Family
Welcome to HOPE House Chapel for Masses +/ other services with the Sisters of the Holy Family, staff, residents and parishioners. However, please contact the Sisters or HOPE House (Brookland Avenue, Cambridge, CB2 2BQ Tel: 01223-368792 / 359087) as the timetable may change without notice.
|09:00||Morning Prayer||Morning Prayer||Morning Prayer||Morning Prayer||Morning Prayer||Morning Prayer||Morning Prayer|
|11:00||Eucharistic Service||Holy Mass||Eucharistic Service||Eucharistic Service||Holy Mass||Eucharistic Service|
|16:00||Benediction||Evening Prayer||Evening Prayer||Evening Prayer||Evening Prayer||Evening Prayer||Evening Prayer|
HISTORY OF THE HOLY FAMILY SISTERS IN CAMBRIDGE
Sisters first came to Cambridge from our Nursing Home in Quex Road, London
during the Second World War. Because of the dangers inherent it living in London
during that time, it was necessary to find alternative accommodation for the
patients and Sisters. A friend (Miss Craig) of the community discovered that two
houses, numbers 54 and 6 Bateman Street Cambridge were available on a rented
basis. On 17th October 1940 fifteen sisters from London and a number
of elderly residents were transferred to Cambridge.
The then OLEM Parish Priest, Monsignor Marshall, received them with open arms, delighted to welcome Nursing Sisters into his parish.
majority of the elderly residents were housed in No. 54 while a smaller number
and the Sisters lived in No.6.
1944 the present house - then known as Fordfield, and already being run as a
Nursing Home - came on the market and was purchased by the Sisters. For
approximately one year, No. 54 Bateman Street was retained as a residence for
the community. While renovations on the kitchen were being completed in the
house in Brooklands Avenue, the meals were cooked in No. 54 and brought across
the garden by trolley!
soon became apparent that an extension to the existing building was
necessary to meet the demand for Nursing Care. In 1949 the building of the
new wing began and the official openings of the Hope Nursing Home took place on
8th December, 1952. The Nursing Home dealt mostly with patients in
need of surgery although there was always a small number of elderly sick and
terminally ill patients being cared for.
the 1980's it was evident that there was a greater need for care of the elderly
and after much discussion and reflection it was decided to change the focus of
the Nursing Home to meet these more pressing needs.
31st July 1987 the Nursing Home was closed and extensive alterations
began - these were completed in December 1989 the New Hope Residential and
Nursing Care Home was open.
policy of the Home is to care until life's end for the most needy, frail,
elderly, particularly those who qualify for DSS. Income support.
aims are twofold: firstly to cater for the physical spiritual and psychological
needs of the individual. Secondly, to create a caring family atmosphere where
the residents are treated with dignity, respect and kindness and where Christian
values are promoted.
keeping with the mission of the Holy Family Sisters
be and to create family.
aim to ensure a homely, friendly and open
among our residents and staff.
maintain the privacy, dignity, rights and quality
life of all the residents, regardless of creed or race.
care for their physical, spiritual and psychological
until life's end.
For Vocations, please click here for the Holy Family of Bordeaux website.